Friday, 21 December 2012

Candy time!

In the past few days something was bothering me and I realised that it was that last yellow layer I applied over the flames: the model looked too much yellow-ish!

So, after asking around on various online forums in our great community I decided to bring the green look back by applying what it's sometimes called a "candy coat": a layer of very thinned paint sprayed all over the existing colours to change them slightly. It's really a sort of glazing technique used to shift the colour below toward a certain hue.

I used a 4:1 mix of Vallejo Game Color Fluo Green and Vallejo Gloss Medium heavily thinned down.

Just look at the following picture, a candy coated wing beside an untouched one:

Quite a difference if I could say so myself!


  1. Perfect, that is exactly what it needed!

    1. Thank you! I'm really happy about how the green turned out!

  2. I'm really digging this Salamander flame pattern. My friend is working on Salamanders now, I need to refer him over here.

    Keep up the great work!

  3. Thank you! The model is finaly complete, tomorrow I will post the final pictures of it :)